The U.S. Department of State training requirements
In order to better prepare our au pairs for their upcoming year and make sure they have knowledge and skills needed to provide the best care to children, they are required to complete our Orientation and Training Program before their arrival in the U.S. Au Pair 4 Me provides this program in accordance with the U.S. Department of State’s regulations and the au pair’s successful completion of that training is required in order to fulfill the requirements. Our au pairs receive over 8 hours of child safety training and over 24 hours of child development training.
The Orientation and Training Program
Our Orientation and Training Program includes online courses related to child safety and development. In addition to those online courses, our au pairs are also required to attend workshops lead by our Au Pair 4 Me instructors. They conduct discussion, activities and engaging projects that help reinforce learning. This training increases confidence, thoughtful decision-making and prepares the au pair for a successful experience caring for children. All au pairs are also required to complete 2 American Red Cross courses – First Aid, AED and CPR and Advanced Child Care Training.
Our Orientation and Training Program focuses on the following topics:
Being an Au Pair
- Program Rules and Regulations, the J-1 visa regulations
- Insurance policy
- American culture and main cultural differences
- Adaptation to the new life with American family and the challenges of living in a new culture
- Culture shock
- Communication with host parents and children
- Au pair as a leader and role model
Child Development Training
This part of the training focuses on physical development, cognitive, and language development as well as emotional and social development.
(Infants, Toddlers, Pre-schoolers, and kindergartners)
- Basic child care
- Behavior challenges
- Importance of play
- Personality changes
- Peer-group influence
- Physical growth
- Discipline challenges and problem solving
- Building self-esteem
Child Health and Safety Training
- The American Red Cross First Aid, CPR and AED training.
- The American Red Cross Advanced Child Care Training
- Age-appropriate activities and toys
- Child Safety - Preventing Accidents and Injuries
- Common health problems and disabilities among children
- Emergency procedures